I was standing in the pantry trying to decide what to make for dinner. Lot’s of Wegman’s Super Pasta and caned organic beans that I had stocked up on last time we were in VA. I must have seen something like this in a food magazine recently because the idea of making an Alfredo sauce with white beans came to me. I looked up the idea online to see how crazy of an idea this was. Not crazy apparently- there were plenty of vegan recipes out there for white bean Alfredo sauce. I was ok with using some cream and the shredded parmesan cheese I had in the fridge so I looked around at a few idea and then made this:
pasta of choice
1 can cannellini beans
1-2 cloves garlic
a few tablespoons of olive oil or oil of choice (I love avocado oil)
1/8-1/3 cup of shredded Parmesan or strong cheese of choice (optional) The vegan version would use a tablespoon of nutritional yeast instead.
1/4-1/2 cup of milk
Mince garlic and let it rest a few minutes (this increases its awesomeness.. seriously look it up.)
- Get water boiling for pasta and oil warming in a skillet
- Rinse canned beans and drain then place in food processor or blender
- Sauté garlic for a minute or two to get it slightly cooked before adding it to the food processor with the beans. You may need to add a little liquid- water, oil, or milk… any would be fine. Maybe even a splash white wine.. hmmm could be interesting? Blend until smooth.
- Empty beans and garlic into a skillet and simmer adding a little milk to make it the consistency you desire. Then in the last minute or two add the cheese. I am thinking capers or olives could be a great addition as well but maybe I am crazy. 🙂
- Hopefully you figured out that you need to cook the pasta according to package directions and you can serve this sauce over it. I like it with a side of steamed broccoli as well.
There you have it! A protein and fiber filled yummy comfort food style dinner. So good and easy!